Friday, February 19, 2010

Summer 2010

Dear Family and Friends,

Hi guys! I hope everyone is doing well and that your 2010 is filled with God’s mercy, love, and blessings! This past year has been such a rush for me. In August of 2009 I began the nursing program at New Mexico State University. The first semester was tough but I made it through! I am now in my second semester of school and striving to survive the dreaded Medical Surgical course. I love this program and this field of study. The Lord has blessed us with such amazing physical bodies and I’m immensely enjoying the study of how they work and how I can learn to take care of them.

I really feel like the Lord has placed in me a passion for women’s studies in particular. I never experience more joy than when I think about being part of the process of bringing a baby into this world. I hope to continue my education after nursing school to obtain my Masters in Nurse Midwifery. This brings me to an amazing opportunity I have been offered for this coming summer…an amazing adventure that I am so thrilled to accept.

This summer I plan to spend two months in Cebu, Philippines at a birthing center called Glory Reborn, which is run by my cousin Hilary Overton. This experience will not only be a great medical opportunity for me but also a fantastic opportunity to share God’s love with the poor, and expand my missionary range. I’ve been to the Philippines twice before and it is such a beautiful place to take the Gospel. The people of the Philippines are hungry for something and Jesus is the one true filler…it is my hope to share His abounding love and kindness in practical ways. I feel like nursing is such an amazing opportunity to share about Jesus, who cares for the whole man (physical and spiritual needs). The role of the nurse is to be beside the patient, to defend the patient, to be the patient’s advocate, and most importantly, to listen and just be present for the patient. In this role we gain trust and respect and we are given such a great opportunity to talk to these people and display God’s love and tender kindness. This summer mission will be such a beautiful time to show Jesus’ love and also gain the knowledge that I hope to take into my future career.

As I’ve said before, I am super excited for this opportunity and all it holds. I’m excited to see what God is going to do and how much he’s going to use me. And I would love for all of you to be part of it! I definitely need my prayer warriors back here cheering me on and encouraging me. And any financial support you might feel called to give would be a HUGE blessing! This trip is going to cost around $2000 for the plane tickets and the two-month stay. It’s a lot of money but I just know in my heart this is where I’m supposed to be this summer.

Thank you so much for your friendship and for your consideration. I feel such promise and grace over this summer and I’m excited to see what God does. I love you all so much and I hope you’ll be part of this wonderful time in my life. God bless!

Molly Walker

mollyw@nmsu.edu

(575) 202-7539

(If you want to send me money or any encouragement, please call me at the number provided, e-mail me, or message me on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=559284178) and I'd be happy to send you my address!

No comments:

Post a Comment